What is Tyre Contact Patch?
Meet the Tyre Contact Patch
What is the tyre contact patch?
It’s just what it sounds like: The external part of the tyre that comes into direct contact with the road, or any other kind of surface you happen to be driving over. We’re not talking about a very large area here. In fact, a typical tyre contact patch is about the size of your hand.
Tyre contact patch facts
- A short and wide tyre contact patch, which is usually found on low profile or performance tyres, can provide you with more control, corner stability and tyre traction.
- Longer and narrower tyre contact patches are most often found on passenger vehicles. They provide a smooth ride with more reliable and predictable handling, including in snowy conditions.
- High profile tyres, like most passenger and light trucks tyres, usually have a long and narrow contact patch.
- Low profile tyres typically have a short and wide contact patch, for better performance.
- Not surprisingly, the larger and heavier the load on the tyre, the larger the tyre contact patch.
- The more a tyre is inflated, the smaller the tyre contact patch.